Download Books The Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotions  For Free
The Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotions Paperback | Pages: 223 pages
Rating: 4.54 | 10330 Users | 340 Reviews

Point Books To The Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotions

Original Title: The Valley of Vision: A collection of Puritan Prayers & Devotions
ISBN: 0851512283 (ISBN13: 9780851512280)
Edition Language: English

Ilustration Conducive To Books The Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotions

The strength of Puritan character and life lay in prayer and meditation. In this practice the spirit of prayer was regarded as of first importance and the best form of prayer, for living prayer is the characteristic of genuine spirituality. Yet prayer is also vocal and may therefore on occasions be written. Consequently in the Puritan tradition there are many written prayers and meditations which constitute an important corpus of inspiring devotional literature. Too often ex tempore prayer lacks variety, order and definiteness. The reason for this lies partly in a neglect of due preparation. It is here that the care and scriptural thoroughness which others found necessary in their approach to God may be of help. This book has been prepared not to 'supply' prayers but to prompt and encourage the Christian as he treads the path on which others have gone before.

Itemize Based On Books The Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotions

Title:The Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotions
Author:Arthur Bennett
Book Format:Paperback
Book Edition:Anniversary Edition
Pages:Pages: 223 pages
Published:November 1st 1975 by Banner of Truth (first published 1975)
Categories:Christian. Prayer. Religion. Theology. Christianity. Nonfiction. Christian Living

Rating Based On Books The Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotions
Ratings: 4.54 From 10330 Users | 340 Reviews

Discuss Based On Books The Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotions
It's amazing that Puritan prayers from hundreds of years ago are still so applicable and powerful in modern times. My favorite of the collection is "Morning Dedication," which ends this way: "May I speak each word as if my final word, and walk each step as my final one. If my life should end today, let this be my best day."

Even though this is in my "read" section, it is a book that can be read over and over again. These prayers focus my own prayers heavenward and really give me a vision to see how to pray and what to pray. High recommended!

This book is a collection of excerpts from different Puritan writers arranged as prayers and organized by category. I have been reading a prayer a day with my devotions and have found it helpful to make their prayers my own. I only wish I knew which Puritans wrote them as the book doesn't tell you. Here are some of my favorite prayers:May my words and works allure others to the highest walks of faith and love.Teach me the happy art of attending to things temporal with a mind intent on things

The Valley of Vision is a collection of prayers, 195 in all, compiled by Arthur Bennett from various men from the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries, including John Bunyan, Thomas Watson, David Brainerd, Isaac Watts, Augustus Toplady, Philip Doddridge, and Charles Spurgeon, as well as others. These short, devotional, poetic prayers are a wonderful way to start and/or end each day. They would serve well for private, personal devotions and meditation, or for family worship.The prayers in this

Never did finish this, because I was using it as a daily devotional while it was borrowed from the library, which didn't work very well, because I ran out of time. I kept meaning to get it back out, but haven't gotten around to it yet, as other devotional books I own have since captured my attention. Still, I would like to finish it sometime, as it is quite inspiring. I eventually started praying the prayers aloud, which was my first experience reading prewritten prayers, and I found the

Some books should be able to have a higher plane for ratings than ordinary books. For example, the Bible should get "infinity" stars. It's not even on a continuum with other literature. And this book, while not in the same realm as the Bible, is so firmly grounded in Truth as to be more powerful than any other devotional work I have encountered. I will never stop reading it as a part of my own devotional times--it is immensely rich with an intermingling of solid, deep doctrine and heartfelt

This incredible volume is so theologically dense that it will take a lifetime of readings to fathom its depths. This is a book of prayers written by anonymous Puritans from centuries ago. But, boy, do these good folk know how to pray. The prayers are short (2 pages apiece in my edition) and one could easily read the entire book in a few days, but there is so much to ponder and meditate on that I limited myself to no more than 6 pages per reading session. This is a book that I will be coming back