Download Snow Flower and the Secret Fan Books Online Free

Download Snow Flower and the Secret Fan  Books Online Free
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan Kindle Edition | Pages: 288 pages
Rating: 4.07 | 330998 Users | 17369 Reviews

Point Books In Favor Of Snow Flower and the Secret Fan

Original Title: Snow Flower and the Secret Fan ASIN B000FCK71U
Edition Language: English
Characters: Snowflower, Lily
Setting: Hunan(China) China
Literary Awards: California Book Award for Fiction (Silver) (2005), Lincoln Award Nominee (2008), Asian/Pacific American Award for Literature for Adult Fiction Honor (2005)

Narrative Concering Books Snow Flower and the Secret Fan

In nineteenth-century China, in a remote Hunan county, a girl named Lily, at the tender age of seven, is paired with a laotong, “old same,” in an emotional match that will last a lifetime. The laotong, Snow Flower, introduces herself by sending Lily a silk fan on which she’s painted a poem in nu shu, a unique language that Chinese women created in order to communicate in secret, away from the influence of men.

As the years pass, Lily and Snow Flower send messages on fans, compose stories on handkerchiefs, reaching out of isolation to share their hopes, dreams, and accomplishments. Together, they endure the agony of foot-binding, and reflect upon their arranged marriages, shared loneliness, and the joys and tragedies of motherhood. The two find solace, developing a bond that keeps their spirits alive. But when a misunderstanding arises, their deep friendship suddenly threatens to tear apart.

Be Specific About Appertaining To Books Snow Flower and the Secret Fan

Title:Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
Author:Lisa See
Book Format:Kindle Edition
Book Edition:Anniversary Edition
Pages:Pages: 288 pages
Published:June 28th 2005 by Random House (first published 2005)
Categories:Classics. Fiction. Cultural. Russia. Philosophy. Literature. Russian Literature

Rating Appertaining To Books Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
Ratings: 4.07 From 330998 Users | 17369 Reviews

Discuss Appertaining To Books Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
I'm so glad I finally read this book! We follow Lily from childhood to old age and learn so much about Yao women's culture in nineteenth century China. She is paired at a young age with a laotong, Snow Flower. This laotong relationship is one that should (and does) become more important and intimate than any other relationship in their lives. While their friendship is is incredibly strong and loving, at times it also is incredibly difficult due to deceit, miscommunication, and selfishness. A

I had high hopes for this book, but ended up feeling deflated and disappointed. Two aspects of the book were interesting: descriptions of the practice of Chinese footbinding, and an exploration of 'nu shu,' the written language Chinese women developed to communicate exclusively with each other. Unfortunately, the book also has two major problems: a boring story, and the use of cheap gimmicks instead of complex characterization. The story deals with two girls who are matched as 'old sames,' sort

Wow. I just finished this book and wanted to come write about it immediately so I don't forget how it made me feel. First off, the language is beautiful and so fitting for the context. The two girls--Snow Flower and Lily--have a friendship that is beautiful and is fun to pick out little pieces from my own childhood/current friendships that I recognize and adore. My next thoughts are not necessarily critiques of the book, but of the way the Chinese thought: I had a real problem with hearing over

"For my entire life I longed for love. I knew it was not right for me as a girl and later as a woman to want or expect it, but I did, and this unjustified desire has been at the root of every problem I have experienced in my life."What a sad yet beautiful book this was! I adore historical fiction that can really immerse me in another time and place and Snow Flower and the Secret Fan did just that. Transported back to 19th century China, I believe I arrived at a better understanding of a

She was also pointing out my defects and teaching me how to use them to my benefit. In our country, we call this type of mother love teng ai. My son has told me that in men's writing it is composed of two characters. The first means pain; the second means love. That is a mother's love.3.5 stars. A beautifully written book about the relationship between women in China. I've read a few historical fiction titles with China as the setting, but have never felt that I got such a thorough look at their

I LOVED Snow Flower and the Secret Fan! It was sad, yet fulfilling, true and honest, yet fictional. A truly moving story about the hardships of being a woman in nineteenth-century China. Yes, foot binding too. We'll get there. By the way, this is going to be a buddy read review, so get ready to read a lot of questions and answers! If you want to read the interview questions and answers, read them on my blog here, as it is too long to put into a Goodreads review. In nineteenth century China,

Brilliant. A spectacular book.I havent read anything this deeply affecting for quite a while {at least on the level of love and relationships}. I was hooked from the beginning. And the grace and depth of Lisa Sees storytelling had me contemplating about life and the deeds and the choices we make concerning our own lives, those that are made on our behalf and how all these affects those who we most cherish. Fate. Is it something nature, or us, or others, or some higher power design for us? Is it

Post a Comment

0 Comments