Specify Based On Books Our Lady of the Flowers

Title:Our Lady of the Flowers
Author:Jean Genet
Book Format:Paperback
Book Edition:Deluxe Edition
Pages:Pages: 216 pages
Published:December 1st 2004 by Olympiapress.com (first published 1943)
Categories:Fiction. Cultural. France. LGBT. Classics. GLBT. Queer
Free Our Lady of the Flowers  Books Online
Our Lady of the Flowers Paperback | Pages: 216 pages
Rating: 4.02 | 5051 Users | 261 Reviews

Relation Conducive To Books Our Lady of the Flowers

Jean Genet's seminal Our Lady Of The Flowers (1943) is generally considered to be his finest fictional work. The first draft was written while Genet was incarcerated in a French prison; when the manuscript was discovered and destroyed by officials, Genet, still a prisoner, immediately set about writing it again. It isn't difficult to understand how and why Genet was able to reproduce the novel under such circumstances, because Our Lady Of The Flowers is nothing less than a mythic recreation of Genet's past and then - present history. Combining memories with facts, fantasies, speculations, irrational dreams, tender emotion, empathy, and philosophical insights, Genet probably made his isolation bearable by retreating into a world not only of his own making, but one which he had total control over.

Present Books Toward Our Lady of the Flowers

Original Title: Notre-Dame-des-Fleurs
ISBN: 1596541369 (ISBN13: 9781596541368)
Edition Language: English
Characters: Louis Culafroy, Adrien Baillon
Literary Awards: Mikael Agricola -palkinto (1989)


Rating Based On Books Our Lady of the Flowers
Ratings: 4.02 From 5051 Users | 261 Reviews

Crit Based On Books Our Lady of the Flowers
THE REVIEWS ARE IN!!! PARIS REELS!!! There are only two real writers among the living Frenchmen: Genet and I.Louis-Ferdinand Céline (noted Célinean)Genet is God. (Jean-Paul Sartre, noted Sartrean) ****************************************What to make of this novel? What can I possibly add to something both as simple as a childrens tale yet so slathered in an alchemical mixture of the sacred and profane that their differentiation becomes a thankless, no, useless task? There are some books that you

Face-to-face with the desire to touch. The book is a gesture I hold between my fingers ... a moan for the sake of a gesture (or is it a death croak, la pètite morte?) The book is a gesture I hold between my teeth. Gnawing at the wound, mouth-born paroxysms of pain. I pry the shards from crevasses of molars. Regurgitated, spit-soaked, soured by the sanguine, the little shredded book falls from my mouth into the soil. Later, a paperwhite blooms beneath the snow.

No comments until I have read this once again...

Hold on, this shit is kinda gay.*I was 17 when I first read Our Lady, and I would never be the same again. My mind & teenage limbic system simply did not know how to process passages like the following. I thought I literally might explode.'I know very well that if I were sick, and were cured by a miracle, I would not survive it.''July Fourteenth: red, white, and blue everywhere. Divine dresses up in all the other colors, out of consideration for them, because they are disdained.''When Mimosa

It's been weeks now, and I've been trying to figure out something, anything to say about this novel. Oh, I liked itvery much so, as my rating surely indicatesbut I keep circling around and around it, desperately searching for the detail upon which to structure and make sense of my reactions. I have to admit I still haven't found it, though there's plenty that could be rhapsodized overthe cruel beauty, the unexpected possibility of transcendence, the influential, still-avant garde style. But no,

They should give Jean Genet a kids show. You know, like Sesame Street and Barney and whatever they have now -- Dora the Explorer? Jean could teach the kids outdated pimp argot instead of Spanish! But the language thing would be extra; the reason Genet gets a kids show is that the message of this book is the same as those shows': this message being the glorious imperative to use your imagination."Use your imagination!" When you think about it, it's a bit strange that there's such an emphasis on

Sartre characterizes this text in the introduction as an epic of masturbation (2), only one subject: the pollutions of a prisoner in the darkness of his cell (3), which presents the primary structural difficulty in interpretation herethe modulation between the moments of the fictive Real metanarrative and the purported Imaginary sub-narratives therein. Sartre also thinks that the text has a desolate, desert-like aspect wherein one character, say, undergoes ascesis in an agony (11)overall, a