Present Books As The House at Riverton

Original Title: The Shifting Fog
ISBN: 0330448447 (ISBN13: 9780330448444)
Edition Language: English
Characters: Grace Bradley, Hannah Hartford, Emmeline Hartford, Robbie Hunter
Setting: Riverton Manor,1924(United Kingdom)
Literary Awards: Australian Book Industry Award (ABIA) for General Fiction and Nominee for Newcomer (2007)
Reading Books The House at Riverton  For Free
The House at Riverton Paperback | Pages: 599 pages
Rating: 3.95 | 96124 Users | 7975 Reviews

Relation In Favor Of Books The House at Riverton

The House at Riverton is a gorgeous debut novel set in England between the wars. Perfect for fans of "Downton Abbey," it's the story of an aristocratic family, a house, a mysterious death, and a way of life that vanished forever, told in flashback by a woman who witnessed it all.

The novel is full of secrets - some revealed, others hidden forever, reminiscent of the romantic suspense of Daphne du Maurier. It's also a meditation on memory and the devastation of war and a beautifully rendered window into a fascinating time in history.

Describe Containing Books The House at Riverton

Title:The House at Riverton
Author:Kate Morton
Book Format:Paperback
Book Edition:Anniversary Edition
Pages:Pages: 599 pages
Published:June 15th 2007 by Pan (first published 2006)
Categories:Historical. Historical Fiction. Fiction. Mystery. Romance

Rating Containing Books The House at Riverton
Ratings: 3.95 From 96124 Users | 7975 Reviews

Piece Containing Books The House at Riverton
I had such high hopes! Our heroine, Grace, now a feisty but failing 98, spent her early life at Riverton House in the service of the Ashbury family...and then spent her adult life trying to forget about them. However, she's contacted by a filmmaker about the mysterious suicide of a World War I poet that occurred at the estate back in 1924. Is the set of the Riverton drawing room accurate? What was it like being a housemaid? Does Grace have any insight into the circumstances of the suicide? Why

4.5 I have to say, spending a few grey, drizzly days* getting lost in this book was a lot of fun! 'The Shifting Fog' (also published as 'The House at Riverton') was an interesting mystery of sorts, as we know from the beginning that a young poet took his life at Riverton in the sumer of 1924, witnessed by sisters Hannah and Emmeline Hartford, who never speak to each other again. In 1999, Grace Bradley is looking back on that time, and it quickly becomes clear that the public version of events is

An enjoyable story and a beautiful historical setting marred by clumsy story telling, overbearing foreshadowing, and an emotional disconnect with characters.

Wish I could give it 10 StarsMy Musings Wow! I finished The House at Riverton a few days ago and I'm still trying to process my emotions about the novel. I loved, loved it since I gave the book the highest rating that exists here, but my emotions are still roiling. An omission of truth led to tragic consequences. But great British Gothic stories are almost always tragic, aren't they? I loved how Kate Morton paid homage to one of my favorite novels, Rebecca, Upstairs, Downstairs even my favorite

I probably would have enjoyed Kate Morton's debut novel The House at Riverton more if I had not already experienced the greater expression of her writing talent in The Forgotten Garden. Riverton shares many of the themes of her later work, but with the narrator at a greater remove from the focus of the story, it tends to make her characterizations a bit flat. The story of the Hartford family, focused on the sisters Hannah and Emmeline is told by Grace, a servant to the family for many years. Her

I loved this book insane amounts. It's everything I wished that Julian Fellowes' "Belgravia" had been able to be (although I did like "Belgravia"). It also gave me my Downton Abbey-time period fix without being overly soap-opera or unrealistic. The character of Hannah is one I adored and will think about for some time to come, as I will many of the characters. As I was reading, I found it extremely easy to assign actors to the roles in my mind, which I do enjoy doing - I obviously know the time

Kate Morton came into my life just under 3 years ago. I don't remember how, but I picked up one of her books and absolutely fell in love with her writing style, characters, and multi-dimensional storytelling abilities. After almost 3 years, I've finished reading all 6 of her books; it's a tad amusing that the last one I read is actually the first book she wrote -- The House at Riverton, or The Shifting Fog, as it was previously known. For me, she's the queen of historical fiction when the focus